ELDER RILEY HARPER
CALLED TO SERVE - CHILE CONCEPCION SOUTH MISSION

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I'M NOT GUNNA LIE, I WAS PRETTY SUCCESSFUL IN THE REFERRAL CENTER

MUCHAS HOLAS FAMILIA!!!!

Well this week was pretty dang crazy but I'll just start off by answering the questions. Yes I got the G's and the hymn book and the HLJ rings. Thank you very much! The whole district is jealous cuz your basically the coolest mother ever. I havent finished them yet but the cookies are good :) and if you could send up a new sturdy camera case that can be worn on a belt and some tan and grey gold toe socks that would be great. One brand of socks that i brought up all got holes in them and that was like three pairs. But the gold toe ones are good. And as of right now there is nothing that I need to send home.


Well the week started great last thursday (our week ends on wednesday) cuz I'm not gunna lie I was pretty successful in the Referal Center (RC). I got two people two except a Book of Mormon and a Missionary visit and one of those was a wrong number! They were trying to call Direct TV (which happens alot) but before she hung up on me I got her to listen to a message about eternal families and the atonement. She then mentioned that her husband was dying in the hospital so I bore my testimony of eternal families and the plan of Salvation, read to her a scripture from the Book of Mormon and then she excepted an invitation to be taught by the Missionaries and recieve the Book of Mormon! It felt so good doing real missionary work while here in the MTC.

Then on saturday and sunday I dont know why but I was kinda getting a little down and doubting my adequacy and during that the branch president called Elder Vincent and I into his office and asked us to be the new zone leaders! AHHH!!! I really didnt feel up to it at first but now I see it as a blessing because I'm trying even harder now to be a better person to set an example for the 50 or so missionaries in our zone. And starting now one of the new responsibilities of zone leaders is to conduct orientation so to speak for the new districts who enter our zone every wednesday and then we take them on a tour and give them another little speil on Thursday. This job was previously the branch presidencies but now we have to tell them all about the MTC and all the rules and stuff and the branch presidency doesnt even see them until thursday night. So thats alot of responsibility on our shoulders :/ I dont really feel like much of a leader or an example but I'm trying to work on it now. But all in all I'm glad the Lord has given me this opportunity to develop more charity, faith, and to force myself to be a better example and a harder worker. even though its a little daunting.

my favorite part of the week though was tuesday night cuz we finally got an apostle for the devotional. yeah (ps the keyboard just broke so i can no longer type exclamations or capital letters but there was supposed to be an exclamation back there) elder richard g. scott of the quorum of the twelve gave a very powerful talk. then halfway through his prepared talk he stopped. was silent for a good thirty seconds. and then totally started on a completely differen subject. we could really tell that he was prompted by the spirit and the rest of his talk was pure inspiration. he even gave us two apostolic blessings which he sealed in the name of our lord and savior jesus christ. he said that the blessings would only come to pass if we remained faithful, obedient, and sensitive to the spirit throughout our mission. but the spirit was so strong during the blessings it was an amazing experience. one of the blessings was the gift of tounges so even though im terrible at spanish right now i know that through my faith i will learn this language. ughh hahah. well im out of time, sorry for the long email. anywas les amo mucho y i will talk to you next week. take care.

elder harper :)

2 comments:

Aimee Molloy said...

I love that story about the direct TV...what a neat experience he will remember.

Anonymous said...

I loved his Richard G. Scott story. He is one of my favorite apostles. He spoke in our stake a few years ago and it was amazing. I'm just so proud of Riley. He is very humble and so faithful. I love his letters!