ELDER RILEY HARPER
CALLED TO SERVE - CHILE CONCEPCION SOUTH MISSION

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

MY LETTER TO RILEY

We still have not heard from Riley nor have received any new information. I thought I would post my letter I emailed to him yesterday on his P-day just in case he would be able to read it.

Hi Riley,

What an experience you have been having in Chile?!!!! We first heard about the earthquake from Jenna at 10:40ish pm CA time Friday evening after we came home from Road Show. Our Cable channels are limited so we could not find any information on the tv. We were scouring the internet but since it had just happened the only substantial information we could find was a live stream from a Chilean station. Needless to say, we could not understand hardly anythingof what they were saying and it was still dark in Chile so there was no visible video feed from outside.

We were so worried. We did know that you, in Talcahuano, were pretty much right at the epicenter. What was going through my mind was TSUNAMI AND RILEY LIVES DIRECTLY ON A PENINSULA RIGHT AT THE EPICENTER. I was so so so so so worried!!!! I have heard horror stories from past Tsunami victims and I was thinking Talcahuano is going to be taken out by a huge Tsunami wave and Riley will have no warning. I, we, were all so scared. We immediately gathered for
family prayer. It was a tough night but Dad and I did feel somewhat calm. I felt so much better when the threat of Tsunami had passed. I do know that Talcahuano was hit with an 8 foot Tsunami surge and we saw pictures online that showed the damage. Underneath it all, we had a calming feeling and were grateful. Still, we were on tremendous edge and anxiety for almost an entire 24 hours until Concepcion South mission finally reported (way after all the other missions did!) that you all were safe and accounted for. We were so happy and relieved to finally hear those words. We and many others were calling into church headquarters every 30 to 60 minutes getting updates.

We received so many texts, emails and phone calls from family and friends who were so concerned about you. MANY PRAYERS WERE SENT TO HEAVEN PLEADING FOR YOUR SAFETY! It was comforting to know how many people love you and our family and how much support we have. Let's just say there were many relieved and happy people when we finally heard the news we were waiting for. "All the missionaries from Concepcion South are safe and accounted for." We got the message while our phones were on silent because we were in Road Show performances. Grandma Joycie, Aunt Katie and President Zundel all left those messages for us and then we called Church Head Quarters immediately to confirm. So, at the beginning of Road Show, they announced that we had still not heard that you were safe and prayed in your behalf and mid through Road Show they were happily able to announce that you were accounted for and safe. Derek made those announcements. That must have been a huge miraculous undertaking in itself considering no power, phone lines down, roads and bridges destroyed, huge aftershocks etc... etc..... etc.... Your mission president and Heavenly Father sure do love you. You are well taken care of and that is SO COMFORTING AND REASSURING to me, as your mother.

We so look forward to actually hearing from you but know it might be a little while until you are able to do so because of power issues, etc... The news has been reporting how amazing and prepared Chile has been. Chileans are no strangers to earthquakes and were extremely well prepared with much expertise, experience, technology, etc... We look forward to hearing YOUR actual EARTHQUAKE experience and story, Elder Riley Harper's story.You were chosen to come to Chile at this time as a missionary of the Lord and you are having and will continue to have some rich and amazing unique experiences. I am sure your mission now, at least for awhile, will include gloves and a shovel. What amazing missionary opportunities are coming your way!!!

We are so blessed and grateful for your safety, for all of our missionaries' safety! Our prayers have been answered. Our family is holding a special fast today,Sunday, in behalf of you, the missionaries and the people of Chile. Baylor was fasting for you all day yesterday up until Road Show, when I finally made him eat.Can't wait to hear from you. Be careful and safe. Continue serving the people of Chile. I know you love them.You are so loved!! I love you Riley. Take Care, Go forth and serve and Be Strong!

LOVE, Tu Mama (and very happy, thrilled and blessed to be so)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle, Your letter gave me chills! You are an amazing mom of an amazing missionary. We love you all so very much! We so pray for Riley and all the missionaries in Chile, for their safety and well-being. We are on pins and needles waiting to hear how Riley is doing! All our love, Katie

Leslie said...

Thanks for sharing this personal letter with us. We continue to pray for Riley and are anxious to hear HIS earthquake story.

shelley said...

I can't wait to hear actual accounts from Riley. To know where he was and what happened! I can't imagine how anxious you all are to hear from him. I hope he takes pictures :)

The Varney Family said...

Scott and I were so anxious, okay I was, Scott had peace and knew that Heavenly Father was watching over and protecting all missionaries at work in the field. I was relieved to hear that Riley was okay, and Scott patted me on the back "see, I told you Heavenly Father would watch over him." What Faith! Love you all and Riley and keep you in our prayers daily! Love, The Varney Fam.!

Lydia said...

Thank you for sharing your story with us...it is so amazing to read what other elders went through, my son was in Curanilahue and his story is different as he wasn't in the epicenter. We were so worried and praying so hard that day too...I'm so grateful that our Heavenly Father protected all of our missionaries serving in Chile. Thanks for the link on the missionary mom list. Your sister in the gospel, Lydia Oversby