ELDER RILEY HARPER
CALLED TO SERVE - CHILE CONCEPCION SOUTH MISSION

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I LOVE THIS WORK. I'M REALLY AM GOING TO MISS IT, BUT I'LL BE LEAVING CALM AND AT PEACE, AND THAT'S WHAT MATTERS.

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY EVERYBODY!!!!!

I hope that you guys all had plenty of barbecue, beach, and fireworks. Here I
didn't see another gringo all day but that's ok. I guess I had my own private quiet celebration, Happy Birthday America!!! The only celebration going on yesterday was that Chile played Mexico in soccer in la Copa America, which is the tournament for all of South and Central America and due to that, the only ciber here in Renaico was closed so I could not write you. But we wrapped up district meeting here a little early here in Angol so that I could come write you guys before lunch.

Anyways my week was really good but also very short. Due to the conference last week we couldn't start working until Wednesday so we had a lot to make up for the lost half day in Renaico and a full day lost in Tijeral. So we spent the whole week running around from investigator to investigator in both pueblos and due to the lack of time, our investigators who aren´t progressing as much were kind of put on standby, on the wayside. Our main focus the whole week was Mara. She is doing good but we did have a few hiccups and speed bumps with her last week but it all worked out fine in the end. It's a long story of what happened and not all that interesting but we are helping her to have the strength to overcome any trial that comes her way so that she can enjoy the blessings of baptism and membership in the Lord´s true church. If everything goes well she will be getting married on Friday the 15th, Baptized on Saturday the 16th, and confirmed on Sunday the 17th. I'll be praying hard that it all works out.

As of last week, we now have more progressing investigators in Tijeral than in Renaico and not enough time to teach them all. Last week we couldn't get to a few investigators who are good and starting to progress just because there are not enough hours in the day or days in the week jaja. We are teaching 3 complete families and are starting with another few investigators here and there as well. Also, due to the request of investigators we are starting to teach, English classes in Tijeral as well Fridays at five. We plan of having like 10 investigators and a few members at the class this Friday. One of the families is the familia Leon, which consists of the dad Manuel, the mom Isabel, two daughters Natali 18 and Karen 14, and 7 year old Felipe. They are extremely friendly and have to feed us every time we go there. Good old southern Chilean hospitality =). Last week we taught them the Restoration of the Gospel and left them with the challenge to read and pray about the Book of Mormon. The spirit was felt and they understood and commited to read and pray so today we should see how it went with them.

The other family, which is related to and neighboors of the first, is the familia Godoy, which consists of the parents and a fifteen year old daughter Daniela. The daughter is the most interested and is very mature for her age; she acts like an 18 year old. She's the one who got and is getting people organized for the English class. She is really active in her Protestant religion but is receptive and wants to learn more. Hopefully today we will be teaching her the Restoration. Her family is also too nice and friendly and they also have to feed us everytime we go there. These people don't take no for an answer. The last family is the one we've had since I got here. Pedro the dad, Jesica the mom, Maria 9 and Constanza 4. The Dad still hasn't come but made a promise to me to go on my last Sunday in Tijeral. The Mom and Daughters continue going and like it and know it's true but don't feel ready for baptism. But although they are going to church, they are not reading or praying so of course they aren't going to feel ready! So we made for them a spiritual progression calendar, where they put check marks everyday for praying in the morning, reading, praying as a family, and praying at night. I first used it with Ale and Dina in Los Angeles and it worked there so hopefully it will work here.

Well those are all of our best investigators for now, too many for too little time left jaja. I'm bummed that I'll be in such a great sector for so little time. With another cambio we could baptize like ten here between these two branches but alas, time is almost up. So I'm just going to leave as many baptismal dates and progressing investigators as I can for the next guy coming in. No time for slowing down now, too much work to do =). Even though I won't be able to baptize everybody I'm so grateful that I got sent to this sector to end my mission. It's great and I'm truly starting to fall in love with both Renaico and Tijeral. There is lots of work to do here, Tijeral needs its own set of missionaries, maybe someday. Monte Aguila still needs its missionaries back as well.

Speaking of Monte Aguila, yesterday me and my comp went there so I could say my final goodbyes to members and converts there. Once again I was shocked with how much that town loves me. I feel like they have my pedestal way more high than it should be jaja. I try to tell them that I'm really not that great but they all think the world of me. But it's cool, it's a good feeling to be loved. And it was a good trip because I got to see almost everyone and see that most of them are active. Maria and Carolina are kind of flaking but I had a good talk with Carolina so that she goes active. She just needs a little push that's all.

So that's all I got for this week. Lots and lots of work and we didn't even have enough time to visit all of the people we needed to. I'm grateful that there is so much to do and so many people to teach here in my last month and last couple of weeks. So I will finish working, teaching, hopefully baptizing and hopefully we will be able to find some time in between our appointments to knock some doors jaja. Well I love you all and I love this work. I'm really am going to miss it, but I'll be leaving calm and at peace, and that's what matters. Well see you all soon! Keep enjoying summer and until next Monday CIAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elder Harper =)

No comments: