Kiu familia, amigos y amigas!
Well another week has come and gone, surprise surprise. Sorry I´m writing a little late today but I will explain why later on in the email. Well anyways it seems like you guys all had an awesome time down in Havasupai with your crazy big group. That is probably one of my favorite camping spots ever. I would be jealous if I was anywhere else doing anything else than where I am and what I´m doing jaja. Bet that the kids are all excited to get school over and done with and to get going with summer. Summer is almost there for you guys now, meanwhile we are just starting up with winter. Although we are still skating by with no rain jaja so stoked for that! Its pretty cold but I'll take cold over rain anyday.
Well I can't lie as far as the work went this week, it wasn't all that great, but some key things happened at the end of the week that made it awesome. I also had one of the best experiences with an investigator that I´ve had yet in the mission last night. But first of all, the week itself wasn't all that great. We had zone conference on Thursday, which was good. Elder Zeballos from the first quórum of the seventy and former president of this mission came to speak to us and gave a pretty powerful talk, which was awesome. The only bummer is that we lost a whole day of work but I think it was worth it in the end. But once again, I'm pretty sick with clogged sinuses and a nasty cough and my comp has the same, so the work was kind of slower paced last week and we didn't find really any good new people to teach but I think I should be getting on the mends soon so next week should be a lot better as far as the pace of the work goes. Also another thing which was a big bust is that we had stake conference this week. That would usually be fine except that it was in Los Ángeles, an hour bus ride away. So it was way tough to bring people to church last week and kind of made me disanimated with my contacts and inviting people. But despite it all, we still managed to bring two investigators to Los Ángeles, which was actually better than I expected. But it's all over and done with now so it's all good.
Now for the update on how our old investigators are doing. Pablo is doing just fine and everything is going smoothly for his baptism this Saturday so we are excited for that. Karina (the evangelical girl) is still staying strong with her decision and new found faith but we are still working on getting permission from her mother for her baptism. The only progress there is that Karina is bugging her so much that her mother has changad her decision from a flat out ¨NO¨ to an ¨Ill think about it¨ so we will see how that goes. We are going to get Karina to try to convince her to talk to us but I don't know. Really, at this point all we can do now is pray for her mother's heart to be softened.
So now I´ll tell you a little more about Raquel, the sister of the member, who has a baptismal fecha and who I briefly mentioned in my email last week. It's a really long story but I´ll give you the short version. So there is this member in our ward who doesn't usually make friends with the missionaries but seems to like me for some reason so we go over to her house a couple times a week to eat once(lunch) and talk with her and her family. She got baptized like ten years ago and the rest of her family are all nonmembers and before recently wanted nothing to do with the church. Sanabria tried to teach them one time and they weren't interested. Raquel (the one who is now going to get baptized) especially wasn't interested and shut him down hard telling him to ¨take your little blue book and buzz off because I don't want anything to do with your church¨. So when we first starting going over to visit them, Viqui, the member, was the only one who talked to us and the rest just kind of sat there in silence. But we didn't give up and after a while we started to make friends with Raquel through smiles, joking around and just showing love for them and that we care. And as we started becoming friends with her, we started very subtly and slowly teaching her.
Then a couple of weeks ago, she finally accepted a Book of Mormon from us but told us she wasn't ever going to use it. Come to find out she read and prayed and got her answer so we set a goal with her for a baptismal date. At first she was shakey with it but now she is positive that she´s made the right decision and is excited for her baptism. Last night when we were at her house before we left she broke down into tears thanking us for how we´ve helped her change her life and she bore her testimony. She told us how she never really had friends before and how she was depressed and angry and dissatisfied with life before we started visiting her. Years ago her only friend died in a freak blizzard on a military march and since then she didn't really associate with people outside her family. But she said that when we came and showed we cared and became friends with her that she started to change and become more happy and content in life. Then when she read 3rd Nephi chapter 11 in the Book of Mormon and prayed about it she said she had never felt such a powerful feeling of peace, love, and complétense in her whole life. And the whole time while she was sharing her story, she was crying, I was crying, and her stubborn sister was trying her best to keep the tears in haha. It was the strongest I had felt the spirit in a very long time and the strongest testimony I have ever heard from an investigator. So I left their house last night feeling on top of the world and thanking Heavenly Father over and over and over again in my heart for the miracle He worked in that girl's life. And I had the words of Alma chapter 26 verse 12 running through my mind. Maybe it sounds like the cliche, classic missionary story but it's the powerful experiences like that that make it all worth while for me. I just LOVE seeing the conversion process especially when the change is dramatic.
And then to add on to that, we had a zone barbecue and soccer game today in Los Ángeles, so afterwards I went to visit my converts in Galvarino. From the couple we married, Marcos now has the Priesthood and Marcela is the Secretary of the primary. Victor, the old guy, also has the priesthood and they are all going to church everyweek and we were all very happy to see eachother again. It was great to see them all still strong. The only thing that put a damper on it was to find out that Nelson has once again gone astray and returned to the ways of the world. He also has moved but I'm going to try to hunt down his address so I can go visit him. Well I´ve got to go but this gospel is true and is the only camino(way)of our Lord and Savior. He lives and still Works miracles today and I am proud to be his witness and behold his great miracles that he works in people's lives. Im so excited for you to get out there Brady; you're going to love it! And I hope you will follow soon after Taylor because there is nothing greater at this time and age in life than serving a mission. Que la obra siempre siga adelante!
Con mucho amor, Élder Harper :)
No comments:
Post a Comment