Hello friends and family!!!
Well its sounds like you guys had a pretty busy week to kick off summer with grandma and papa in town, Izzie´s birthday, Abbie in Peru and Mom and Izzie at girls camp. But it sounds like Abbie is having a blast in Peru and that Izzie had a good birthday. Well I have to say that my birthday was pretty awesome. I really did feel loved the whole day. Even though I was a little nervous because I had to give a capacitation to the whole zone and the zone leaders and assistants during the entrevistas but in the end it went well as well as my interview. As far as me going or staying, the president didn’t tell me anything but I’m pretty sure that I’m going to get transfered. Anyways we got back from Los Angeles like at six and from there we were busy the rest of the day because everyone (investigators and some members) wanted me to visit them to wish me a happy birthday and some investigators and members even gave me little gifts.
Also thank you very much for the hoodie, the tie, the little knick knacks, the tasty goodies and the card. The picture is very creative and I really enjoyed reading Dad's birthday journal entries from his mission. It got me pumped to get working even harder and to try to be as good of a missionary as you were dad. I really enjoyed reading them. So in conclusion, my birthday was awesome and one of the best ones yet. I’m sure that I´ll definitely always remember it and the love of the people here in Monte.
As far as how my week went after my birthday it was pretty uneventful until Saturday night. We found some new would-be awesome investigators, a couple that wants to be baptized, but he is really poor and works Monday to Monday. He asked his boss if he could get time off of work to go to church but it was a big NO. We found a few others as well that have potential but they didn’t come to church this week so we're going to have to see what´s up. On Saturday was the baptism of Raquel and it went awesome. It started a little late because the Elders of Cabrero started filling the font late (typical) but that was just a minor detail and it all went fine. She was way excited for it and while I was baptizing her I felt the spirit strong and she did too. There´s nothing like baptizing =). Elder Leiva confirmed her on Sunday but we found out afterwards that he messed up and so we are going to have to do it again this coming Sunday jaja but she´s fine with it; she just laughed.
So Saturday went well because of the baptism but after that, the day ended in flames. At 11:00 pm Saturday night we got a call from one of our investigators, who lives right next to a member, and she urgently told us that the house of the member was on fire and burning down fast. My stomach dropped because this is the same member family who has been struggling because of the hermano who is in the hospital dying with stomach cancer. So we called the branch President and told him, got out of bed, threw on some clothes and headed out to the other extreme end of the pueblo where the family lives. When we got there, with two of the boys from the family Iglesias, the firefighters were just finishing up and there was pretty much nothing left but ashes and smoke. The house was wood so it went up fast. It was a miracle that the whole family got out alive because they were all sleeping. So we did as much as we could to console the family and help out but they were doing their best to not breakdown. Even though it did break my heart as their 17 year old granddaughter turned to us with tear streaked eyes and said hello and then with sadness said that she was sorry because they weren’t going to be able to have us for lunch this Wednesday (we had lunch at their house every Wednesday). She then weakly tried to laugh and put on a smile.
In the end we were there til like 1:00 in the morning and then after church on Sunday the whole branch mobilized to help out this stricken family, cleaning up the rubble, donating clothes and food, and doing whatever they could. The unity and swiftness in which the branch acted really impressed me and was just another testimony of how awesome our church is. On Sunday we didn’t have any investigators at church but two of our investigators, the ones who called us about the fire, yesterday told us that they want to get baptized this Sunday. They both have enough Sundays in Church and we were way stoked to hear that. There are a few things that could impede it from happening but we are going to be going by there a lot this next week and praying that everything goes fine so that they can be baptized this Sunday. We knew that they were going to be baptized eventually but they were progressing a lot slower before so it came as a big surprise when they told us. So please keep them in your prayers so that everything goes well so they can be baptized this Sunday. There names are Filomena (13 years old) and Carolina (25) and they are sisters. When we pass through our hard moments and trials well, the Lord truly does bless us. That’s what I am seeing in my life and that’s what I´m now teaching this poor family and I do know with all my heart that its true. For after all our trials are just but a small moment but the blessings are eternal. Love you all and I love this work. CHOU!!!!!
Élder Harper =)
No comments:
Post a Comment