ELDER RILEY HARPER
CALLED TO SERVE - CHILE CONCEPCION SOUTH MISSION

Monday, November 30, 2009

I AM ASHAMED! I FORGOT ABOUT THANKSGIVING!





Querido familia y amigos,

I am ashamed! I forgot about Thanksgiving! It doesn't exist here so it just came and went and I woke up Friday morning and realized I missed it. In fact, I can't even remember what I did on Thursday jajaja. It was just another day. In fact, until Sunday, this week was pretty uneventful. I got sick again thanks to The Argentino Élder Rodriguez. He got here sick and then he infected my companion and when your companion gets sick, well, it's only a matter of time after that untill it's your turn. And I ate some bad pasta so that added to it for a day or two but after how sick I was last cambio this wasn't a big deal. It was just kind of a groggy week. Even though we were both sick we still went out and worked. I just cant remember too much of what we did haha.


The search for the family still goes on. We found a good one and taught a great lesson with them but they are never at home during the week so we can only visit them on the weekends. And as the missionaries here in Chile say, "Tiemp mata el investigador" (time kills the investigator) So we will have to wait and see on that one. 


The highlight of the week was definitely Victor´s baptism. In case you don't remember, Victor was the old stubborn guy now turned soft by the gospel. His testimony is great and he really loves the church and the service went perfectly as planned (which rarely happens here). It started on time, everything went smoothly, and the spirit was felt strongly. We had a good turn out and a friend of his from the ward baptized him. Oh, and Nelson was confirmed last week and is doing better then ever, and now that he has the gift of the holy spirit, I know that he is going to continue to grow :).

Some other news is that we finally got Marcela and Marcos to set a marriage date. They are getting married under the law on Friday and then after wards we are having a little reception in the church with the whole zone. They want only missionaries at the party for some reason so that will be good. Then the next day on Saturday we are going to baptize Marcela. She is so ready and excited to be baptized. I cant wait :).

We also did some good reactivation work last week. We got two families who hadn't been to church in years to come to both church on Sunday and the baptism. So hopefully they will stick. As far as the spanish is coming, I have my good days and my bad like always. Im starting to dream more in spanish (don't get too excited. it's still very broken) but I´m learning to have patience. It's kind of funny because your never satisfied with it. The more you learn and the better you get, the more you realize how terrible you really are and how much you have to go. But hey, I'm still improving and that's all that matters.

Well, we didn't work as hard as we could have last week because both me and my companion were pretty sick but we are both recovering now so this next week will be a lot better. Plus, we have another baptism this next week :).

Well, it sounds like you guys all had a fun time down at the river. It's funny that it's cold there cuz it's really starting to get hot here in Los Ángeles. I'll be wearing short sleeves and eating asado (barbecue) on Christmas haha. That's too bad about Zach, but that sounds like usual Zach and Blake logic to me, going out without the proper gear and such. Poor Zachy, what are we going to do with you? But hey Zach, at least when people asked you what happened, it sounds cool to say that you did it dirt biking.

About the camera Mom, I can buy I decent one here for about 60 or 70 luca (like 120 or 130 dollars) so I think that I'm going to do that. And yeah, I´ll start doing the cds with the pictures. Well that's all I got for this week but I love you all and enjoy getting ready for the Navidad. Hasta el siguiente lunes chao!

con amor, Élder Harper :)

The Baymeister,

Wad up my brotha from the same motha? It sounds like you guys had a pretty sweet Thanksgiving. Meanwhile I completely forgot about it. But in my defense it doesn't exist here and I was sick. Here I´ve learned not to let the old chilenos know that your sick when you're in their house. Porque cuando tu les decis que estai enfermo, ellos ponen cualquier porqueria plantas en un vaso y te obligan para tomarlo.

Translation they throw a bunch of weird smelling plants that they got who knows where into a cup, pour hot water in it, and make you drink it. Surprisingly though sometimes it does make you feel better, or worse, it depends hahaha. Well I got to go man but take care y porfavor portaté bien. a.k.a dont get into too much trouble. Well until next pday chao.

tu hermano mayor, Élder Harper :)

No comments: