ELDER RILEY HARPER
CALLED TO SERVE - CHILE CONCEPCION SOUTH MISSION

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

RILEY HAS MADE IT TO CHILE

Riley flew out of Salt Lake City early Monday Morning and arrived in Concepcion, Chile Tuesday morning at 9:30. Well.... since I did not have a definite confirmation of his arrival, I had faith that he had. I waited for a confirmation email on Tuesday but it never came so I broke down this morning and emailed Hermana Swenson, the mission president's wife. This is how it went down:

Hola Hermana Swenson,

Just an anxious mother that wants to be assured her son, Elder Riley Harper, arrived safe and well yesterday morning in Chile.

Thanks,

Michelle Harper


Querida Hermana Harper,

I can assure you that all is well -- your son arrived safe and sound along with 9 other new missionaries...1 from Costa Rica, 2 from Chile, and the rest from the US. His trainer is Marcus DeLeon from Nampa, Idaho. Elder DeLeon is heading home in 6 weeks, and was a zone leader until this last transfer when President asked him to train. Their area is in Pitrufquen in the south of the mission. They live in a 4-missionary house with two zone leaders, so your son will be surrounded by outstanding missionaries.

Yesterday and today were clear blue sky and sun...spring is here.

Enjoy the ride. HS






To say the least, I am relieved and very happy to have some specific information. He is very south geographically in his mission and is therefore approximately 6 hours away from the mission office. This means it is probably going to take a little longer for him to receive letters and packages since they all go through the mission office. But that is ok, a missionary's mail is treasure and worth the wait. Just be patient with his responses.

I have Googled the town of Pitrufquén and it seems like it is a great little community. On the right hand column, under WHERE HE'S BEEN, you can click on Pitrufquén and it will take you to some photos to view. I am so glad he has arrived safely and I will post his first letter as soon as I get it. I am not sure when that will be, hopefully no longer than a week. : )

Michelle - Riley's Mom




2 comments:

the wrights said...

I am so glad to hear that he arrived safely :) It sounds like he is in good hands.

Max

Sherri said...

Great news from another anxious mother! :0)